|« Electrical Wiring Conversions for Clothes Dryers||Wiring For Clothes Dryers – Don’t Do This »|
3 Prong Cord Wiring For An Electric Dryer
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Dave on Google+
How to Connect Your 3-Wire Electric Dryer Cord: Fully explained electrical wiring diagrams for dryer cords.
Wiring Connections For A 3 Prong Dryer Cord
- I bought a 4 prong cord to switch out but before I installed it on dryer I wanted to make sure plug would fit. (I who knows nothing about electrical wiring or dangers).
- The cord was on the ground with all 4 wires exposed when I plugged it into the outlet. Of course it arced and fried the ring terminals.
- I turned off the circuit breaker to unplug the cord. I realize I could have fried myself now but my question is now that the new 4 prong cord has been installed on dryer and we plug it in, it does not work. Did I fry the plug?
Background: Toni, a Other from Santa Cruz, CA.
Additional Comments: Your website was helpful in showing me how to switch out a 3 prong to a 4 prong dryer cord.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Toni.
Preparations for Connecting 3Wire and 4Wire Dryer Cords
- Application: Wiring a Dryer Cord.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed or Certified Electrician.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
- Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
- Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
How to Connect Your 3Wire and 4Wire Dryer Cord
- Always make sure the dryer cord is not plugged into the receptacle when making the wiring connections.
- NOTE: As with this question, shorted wires typically do not damaged the 220 volt receptacle outlet.
- If the dryer circuit breaker trips off, make sure to fully reset the circuit breaker, all the way off, then back on after the wiring and connections are completed.
- If a 240 volt dryer circuit should trip off It is very possible that just one side of the breaker has tripped, or half of the circuit breaker. In this case the circuit breaker should be turned all the way off before making any wiring connections.
- For best results, the ring terminal connectors should not be damaged, however if they are damaged they may be cut off and replaced with new ring terminal connectors which may be obtained from your local hardware store.
- The following resources will help you with the electrical wiring connections for your dryer.
Dryer Cord Electrical Wiring
- Electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer.
- Or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired.
- What to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- Fully explained electrical wiring diagrams for dryer cords.
|« Troubleshooting Outlets and Lights that Do Not Work||Installing Outlets Ground Up or Down »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.