Home » Electrical Wiring Directory » Wall Switch » Leave a Comment or Ask a Question
|« Wiring a Switch for a Ceiling Fan||»|
Adding Ceiling Fan Wiring to a Switch Box
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Switch for a Combo Ceiling Fan and Light: Wiring for a ceiling fan light was added, how do I add a second switch for a new ceiling fan and light?
Wiring Switches for a Ceiling Fan
- The wiring for a ceiling fan light combo was added with 14-3 cable.
- The 14-3 cable goes to an existing single pole switch into a two-gang box that already housed three 14-2 cables.
- One 14-3 cable that was connected to a GFCI outlet in the bathroom.
- How do I add a second single pole switch for the new ceiling fan and light?
- Is a 2-gang box to small?
This electrical wiring question came from: Cleo, a Homeowner from Phoenix, Arizona.
See more about Home Wiring for Arizona
Additional Comments: Great!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Cleo.
How to Wire a Switch for a Combo Ceiling Fan and Light
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan power source or circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the switches are fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have and the size of the lamps that will be installed in the fixture.
Guide to Wiring Switches for a Light Combo Ceiling Fan
- The ceiling fan requires a power source consisting of a hot, neutral and ground wire.
- The power source cable in the 2 gang box must be identified and connected to the new switches for the ceiling fan
- The black power source wire is controlled through the switch.
- The wires leading to the ceiling fan and light combo are also connected to the switches.
- White neutral wires for the circuit power source are spliced together.
- Ground wires in the switch box are all spliced together.
- NOTE: The wiring diagrams that are linked below will explain this and provide photos of ceiling fan installations as well.
More about Wiring a Switch for a Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms. Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
|« Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures||How to Wire Light Switches From an Outlet »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.