AFCI Arc Fault Requirements for Home Electrical Circuits
|©Copyright Dave Rongey||Summary:|
Arc Fault Outlets for the Home: The AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter is used for specific circuits as required by the NEC Code.
NEC 210-12 AFCI Arc Fault Interrupter Circuit Requirements
Electrical Question: What is an arc fault circuit interrupter used for? Is it mainly used for smoke detectors?
This electrical question came from: Vicky, from Akeley, Minnesota.
Thanks for your electrical question Vicky.
Arc Fault Outlets for the Home
The Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter are used for specific Home Electrical Circuits as required by the NEC Code
AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter Requirements for Homes
The Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter is designed to turn off an electrical circuit when an arc is detected that can lead to a fire or other hazardous conditions within the range of the protection that the AFCI is able to detect. AFCI protection is now mentioned in the National Electrical Code and required in several areas of the home, and as adopted by your local building department or agency.
NEC Codes for AFCI in Home Electrical Applications
- The following are just two instances of AFCI requirements within the NEC:
- 210.12(B) Bedroom wiring methods AFCI outlet circuit.
- Arc Fault protection required for all outlets, defined by the NEC include all lighting fixtures, smoke detectors, and receptacles.
- 210.12(B) Dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways wiring methods require AFCI.
- Where the branch circuit wiring has been modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by a listed combination-type AFCI that is located at the origin of the branch circuit, or a listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit.
More about Home Electrical AFCI
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.
GFCI and AFCI Circuit Breakers
Arc Fault Circuit Interruption AFCI provides the extra measure of safety for your family. AFCI’s are installed serving required house wiring circuits protecting areas such as the bedrooms. AFCI protects the bedroom circuit devices against the danger of arcing which can lead to fire.
AFCI Circuit Electrical Codes
Related Questions about AFCI
- AFCI and GFCI Electrical Circuit Breakers
- AFCI Arc Fault Requirements for Home Electrical Circuits
- AFCI Outlet and Circuit Wiring
- Electrical Question about Panels, AFCI and GFCI Requirements
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.