|« How to Wire a New Garage Project||Replacing Receptacles »|
Correct Electrical Wire Size for Ceiling Fans and Lights
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Selecting the Correct Wire Size for Ceiling Fans and Lights – In new construction the wire size for is determined by the…
Determining the Wire Size for a Circuit
This electrical question came from: Mike, from Flemington, New Jersey.
See more about Home Wiring for New Jersey
Thanks for your home electrical question Mike.
Electrical Circuit Wire Size
Selecting the Correct Wire Size for Ceiling Fans and Lights
- When installing electrical wiring for new construction the wire size for is determined by the type of circuit and the load that will be connected to the circuit.
- Many circuits are never loaded to the full potential or rating of the circuit and that is good, however there are typical wire sizes for 120 volt lighting and receptacle circuits which are generally #14 and #12.
- The #14 gauge wire or 14/2 and 14/3 Type-NM is most commonly used for home lighting circuits because most switches for homes are rated for 15 amps therefore using a larger size would not be compatible with these devices and it would not be as easy to make the connections when using a larger wire size.
- When extending or adding electrical wiring to existing electrical circuits the new wire should always be the gauge and rating as the existing circuit wiring.
NOTE: As mentioned in this question, Romex is a brand name which is owned by the Southwire company, however Type-NM cable is manufactured by other wire and cable companies as well.
More about Home Electric Wiring
- Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« How to Replace a Plug on a Cord||How to Make Ceiling Fan Wire Connections »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.