|« Using Copper and Aluminum Wire for Home Circuits||How to Wire a Vacuum System for Workshop Tools »|
Does Your Washing Machine Require GFCI Protection
Dave Rongey -
About Me -
GFCI Protection for the Laundry Room: Electrical Outlet Circuit for a Clothes Washing Machine – This would include the receptacle for the washing machine outlet if it is within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink.
GFCI Receptacle Outlets
This electrical question came from: Highlander, a Inspector from Manila, Philippines.
Thanks for your electrical question Highlander.
GFCI Protection for the Laundry Room
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing an additional GFCI Outlet Circuit or Laundry Room Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Electrical Outlet Circuit for a Clothes Washing Machine
- The washing machine outlet itself does not require a GFCI outlet, however any outlet within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink in laundry rooms require that it be GFCI protected.
- This would include the receptacle for the washing machine outlet if it is within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink, and I would feel that this would apply if there was any type of water source such as a shower head and faucet in sinks.
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room
- Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
This link is helpful as a Inspector
Electrical Code Articles
Leave a Comment
Learn How to Wire it Right with myComplete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Help for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
This Guide to Wiring is the Perfect Resource
for Your Home Electrical Projects!
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.