How To Install a Floor Outlet
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Dave on Google+
How to Locate and Install an Electric Outlet into a Floor: The requirements, hardware or techniques for installing an outlet box into a floor.
Installing an Electrical Outlet in the Floor
This electrical question came from: John, a Handyman from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Additional Comments: Very helpful. I understand electricity but not hardware and codes.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
Preparations for Installing a Floor Outlet
Application: Installing a 120 Volt Floor Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be added and the access to the location for the new outlets.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Procedure for Installing a Floor Outlet
- Installing a floor outlet requires a special floor rated outlet box, which is typically a deep metal box.
- A recessed single or duplex outlet is then installed and a low profile outlet cover which is rated for floor use is then installed.
- Many of the large hardware stores carry floor outlet kits that come with the box, outlet and the cover.
- But first of course, the location for the floor outlet will require special planning so that the outlet will be be located in an ideal location, possibly under a table or sofa.
- This location must not interfere with floor joists or other structural supports or obstacles that may be under the floor.
- The electrical source may be extended from a wall outlet in the immediate room or area
More Wiring Instructions about Wiring an Outlet
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring Electrical Outlets
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
|« Electrical Wiring for Two GFCI Outlets||Installing Electrical Wiring for a Shed »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.