FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« 3 Way Switch Diagrams To Get Your Lights Working Today||Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Symbols »|
Fix Three-Way Light Switch Wiring
How to Connect Wires for 3-Way Light Switches – Both of the switches should be 3-way switches with the appropriate wiring installed between them, such as a 3-wire cable.
3-Way Light Switch Wiring Correction
- Do you think the wiring is wrong, or do I need to buy a new switch? How would it be fixed, if it is wrong?
- When Triplex is in the OFF position, Single does not operate.
- When Triplex is in ON position, Single operates normally.
- When Single is in ON position, Triplex does not operate.
- When Single is in OFF position,Triplex operates normally.
Background: Stephen, a Homeowner from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stephen.
Thanks for the photo.
How to Connect Wires for 3-Way Light Switches
Yes Stephen, the wiring for this three way switch is definitely wrong.
- Both of the switches should be 3-way switches with the appropriate wiring installed between them, such as a 3-wire cable.
- The power source and the switch leg to the light fixture need to be identified for the exact wiring method.
- See the 3-way switch diagrams by using the links below.
- By the way, your definition of Triplex is the same as a 3-way switch.
The Following will assist you with your 3-Way Light Switch Wiring
How to Wire 3-way Switches
Easy to Understand 3 Way Switch Diagrams
3 Way Switch Diagrams Fully Explained. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
|« Electrical Wall Switch Variations||Multiple Motion Detectors for Light Fixtures »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.