FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« Why Fluorescent Bulbs Burn Out Quickly||Electrical Wiring for Closet Light Fixtures »|
How To Convert T12 to T8 Lighting Ballasts
How to Convert a T12 Fluorescent Light Fixture: Wiring a T12 Fluorescent Fixture for a T8 Energy Efficient Ballast, How do I convert T12 light fixtures to T8 electronic ballasts?
Wiring Fluorescent Lighting Fixtures
- I have about 200 2 ballast T12 lights.
- I want to start changing them over to T8 single ballast.
- I would like to know how to wire the lights for the single ballast.
This electrical wiring question came from: Jerry, a Property Manager from Carlinville, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jerry.
How to Convert a T12 Fluorescent Light Fixture
Application: Fluorescent Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of fluorescent lamps that have been installed.
Wiring a T12 Fluorescent Fixture for a T8 Energy Efficient Ballast
T12 fluorescent light fixtures have a few different configurations of the actual type and length of lamps, and the number of lamps for each light fixture, so be sure to get the correct T8 Energy Efficient ballast for each light fixture. Refer to the following example which describes the basic conversion process.
- Each electronic ballast has a complete wiring diagram that describes all of the wiring connections.
- The wiring is very straight forward and the conversion is very easy.
- You will be able to use the existing wiring and just replace the old ballast with the new electronic ballast.
- The lamp sockets work for both T12 and T8 lamps as the pin configuration is the same.
- Check with your local electric utility company who may have a energy efficiency upgrade program that may offer a rebate that could apply to this project.
Be sure to attach the ground wire to the metal frame of the light fixture.
More about Electrical Wiring for Light Fixture Ballasts
How to Replace a Light Fixture Ballast
Electrician Explains How to Replace a Light Fixture Ballast
F40 and F34 Lamps and Ballast
How to Use F40 and F34 Lamps and Ballasts
|« How to Make Sure Your Electric Bill is Correct||Poor Power Quality and Appliance Problems »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.