|« How to Wire a Multi Function Stack Switch||Troubleshooting Wires to the Light Switch »|
How to Install Wiring for a Stack Washer and Dryer
Dave Rongey -
About Me -
Electrical Wiring for a Stack Washer and Dryer: Many stack washer dryer units are actually two separate units, each having its own specific electrical circuit requirement depending on the exact models that are purchased.
Wiring a Stack Washer and Dryer
Thank you for your help!
This electrical wiring question came from: Wesley, from Denver, Colorado.
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your electrical wiring question Wesley.
Electrical Wiring for a Stack Washer and Dryer
Installing a Stack Washer Circuit
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
- I do not recommend using a voltage adapter for a stack washer and dryer, and using a voltage adapter my void the manufacturers warranty.
- As described in this question, the required 21 amps of the stack washer and dryer exceeds the standard 15 or 20 amp 120 volt outlet circuit of an apartment or home, so a converter will not be available because converters cannot create amperage, only convert voltage within the amperage rating of the existing circuit.
- Many stack washer dryer units are actually two separate units, each having its own specific electrical circuit requirement depending on the exact models that are purchased.
- Keep in mind that clothes dryers may be electrically heated or gas heated, so the electrical circuit for the motor might be able to be shared with the washing machine unit, as specified by the owners manual or installation manual.
More about Stack Washers and Dryers
I purchased a stacking kit for my washer/dryer set. By moving the dryer it will be farther from the 220/230 outlet.
- I don’t want to purchase an extension cord, they run over $100 everywhere I’ve looked. I’m wondering if I can easily combine 2 dryer cords, which would be about 10 feet each, and cost between $10-$15. Much cheaper, but I still get the length I need.
- How can I do this without losing power or creating an unsafe connection in the middle of my laundry room (I’m assuming wire nuts are not the way to go to connect the two cords)
This home electrical repairs question came from: Ben, from Orem, Utah.
Extension cords are not recommended from major appliances including stack washers and dryers. It may be best to extend the electrical circuit closer so that the cord will reach.
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Leave a Comment
Learn How to Wire it Right with myComplete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Help for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
This Guide to Wiring is the Perfect Resource
for Your Home Electrical Projects!
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.