|« How to Rewire a Problem GFCI Outlet Circuit||Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring »|
How to Replace a Ceiling Fan Motor Speed Switch
Dave Rongey -
About Me -
The Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan: The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Switch
This electrical wiring question came from: Stan, from Bonita, Florida.
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stan.
Replacing a Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan that you have.
The Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan
- The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
- Turn OFF the electrical circuit for the ceiling fan and mark the circuit showing that the circuit is being worked on.
- Remove the cover to expose the 3-speed switch.
- Copy down all of the wiring connections before removing the 3-speed switch.
- Cap any bare wires with small wire connectors or place electrical tape over them.
- Take the switch to your hardware store and purchase the exact replacement.
- Keep the original switch for reference. Install the new 3-speed switch and make the wiring connections.
- Replace the cover and restore the circuit power.
- If you find that the ceiling fan is worn out then purchase a replacement.
- See the links below for instructions for installing a new ceiling fan.
More about Installing ans Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Installation
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Leave a Comment
Learn How to Wire it Right with myComplete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Help for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
This Guide to Wiring is the Perfect Resource
for Your Home Electrical Projects!
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.