|« Guide to Longer Lasting Light Bulbs||Removing a Medicine Cabinet Light Installing a New Fixture »|
How to safely splice copper and aluminum electrical wires
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Splice Copper and Aluminum Electrical Wires – A splice can be made between copper and aluminum wire using any wire connector that is approved for joining AL/CU wires together and following the approved methods.
Splicing Copper and Aluminum Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wiring Question: I have a lamp with copper wiring that I want to install to my house which has aluminum wiring.
Can I do this, and if so, how?
I have read that there are purple wire caps which have a gel inside which will allow the connection – is that correct?
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
How to Splice Copper and Aluminum Electrical Wires
- A splice can be made between copper and aluminum wire using any wire connector that is approved for joining AL/CU wires together and following the approved methods.
- Only use wire connectors that are the correct size for the wires to be spliced.
- Make sure that the wire connectors are of a reputable name brand and have a genuine UL Listing.
- Apply corrosion inhibitor gel to the wires to be spliced together.
- Make sure that the wires are firmly secure inside the wire connectors.
The Following will assist you with Splicing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Junction Box Splice
Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Emergency Electrical Splices
Wiring Electrical Codes
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.