|« Testing Electrical Outlets||Are You Making These Costly Electrical Wiring Mistakes »|
How to Wire a Honeywell Thermostat
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
Wiring Instruction Guide for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat: Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning.
Wiring Guide for a Honeywell Thermostat
Electrical Question: I bought a Honeywell Heating thermostat. There were no directions about how to wire it.
- How come there were no wires coming out of the back of the thermostat?
- I need to know where to connect the thermostat wires from the wall.
- This is a round thermostat with a dial on it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Pamela, a Handy woman from Brockton, Ma.
Additional Comments: Great!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Pamela.
Wiring Instructions for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the furnace or air conditioning circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- The model number of the Honeywell thermostat was not provided, however here are the typical wiring assignments for a conventional heating system.
- Keep in mind that there should be a low voltage cable in the wall where the thermostat is located which has individual wires as shown in the instructions below.
Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning
Terminal Label – Wire Color – Function /Description
- R - Red Wire - 24 Volts.
- B – Blue Wire - Cooling.
- G - Green Wire or Grey Wire * - Fan Blower.
- W - White White - Heating.
Although many home heating and air conditioning systems have a standard type thermostat cable with color coded wires, the wires should be identified to make sure of the exact purpose for each wire.
More about Home Electrical Projects
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
This link is helpful as a Handy woman