|« How to Replace a Light Socket for a Light Fixture||Wiring Connections When Replacing an Oven »|
How to Wire Ceiling Fans and Switches
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Wiring Methods for Ceiling Fans and Switch Controls: When installing the wiring for a ceiling fan from a wall switch box where the power originates it is common to install a 3-wire cable with a ground which will provide the following, a black wire for a separate switch for the fan motor which could also be a variable fan speed control, a red wire for a separate switch to control the light switch which could be a dimmer switch depending on the type of lamps.
Ceiling Fan Switch Wiring
This electrical wiring question came from: Steve, from Sunlakes, Arizona.
Additional Comments: Just discovered the site and have signed up for your Electrical How-To Manual.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
Wiring Methods for Ceiling Fans and Switch Controls
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a fiberglass or non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan location.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- When installing the wiring for a ceiling fan from a wall switch box where the power originates it is common to install a 3-wire cable with a ground which will provide the following:
- A Black wire for a separate switch for the fan motor which could also be a variable fan speed control.
- A Red wire for a separate switch to control the light switch which could be a dimmer switch depending on the type of lamps.
- The White neutral and the ground wires have typical connections.
- If there will be only one switch that will be used at the wall then as this question states, there are two options:
- To connect the Black and Red wires together at the switch box.
- Or connect the Black and Red wire together at the ceiling fan box.
- My choice is to connect the Red and Black wires together at the wall switch therefore if separate switches would ever be installed then changes with the wiring may be done at the wall switch and not require disassembling the ceiling fan to change the wiring up at the ceiling fan box.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Leave a Comment
Learn How to Wire it Right with myComplete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Help for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
This Guide to Wiring is the Perfect Resource
for Your Home Electrical Projects!
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.