FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans||Tripped Circuit Breaker and Lost Power to Outlets »|
How to Repair a Ceiling Fan
Repair a Ceiling Fan: How to Identify and Repair Ceiling Fan Electrical Parts, Replacing Ceiling Fan Parts.
How to Identify and Repair Ceiling Fan Components
- What is that box for? I replaced the single light socket.
- Now the fan will move but very slow.
- I can spin it with my hand but it will just go to slowing down.
- Why did the fan do that after replacing the light socket?
This electrical question came from: William, from McComb, Mississippi.
Additional Comments: I have never used this web sight before but by what I am seeing this is a sight that I will use again and tell others of it. Thank you for your time and help.
Thanks for your electrical question William.
Repairing a Ceiling Fan
Application: Installing a Ceiling Fan Light Socket
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan light fixture assembly.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Identifying Ceiling Fan Electrical Parts
Ceiling Fans have a few vital electrical components which are necessary for the normal operation of the fan motor and light fixture, typically as follows:
- The Fan Motor
- 3-speed pull chain switch.
- Rotation or Directional Switch.
- The Fan Motor.
- Motor Capacitor.
- The Light
- Pull Chain switch.
- The Light Sockets.
- Light switch controls will vary depending on the specific type and style fixture.
- Remote Control – Optional
- Receiver Module
- Transmitter – typically Hand Held or Wall Mounted
Replacing Ceiling Fan Parts
- The internal ceiling fan wiring may share connections with other electrical components.
- When replacing any component it is necessary to mark or identify all of the wiring connections and make sure the replacement component is the same as the faulty component.
More about Ceiling Fans
Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
Ceiling Fan Installation #1
Ceiling Fan Installation #2
|« Troubleshooting Electrical Outlets||How to Wire a Water Heater Timer Control »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.