|« Hairdryer Outlet and GFI Safety Requirement||Replacing Ungrounded Outlets with a GFI »|
Installing A GFCI Outlet Without A Ground Wire
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
Installing a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire – A GFCI Outlet can be installed even if a ground wire is not available in the existing electrical circuit. The GFCI outlet must be marked with a provided label that the outlet is not grounded.
GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
Electrical Question: I work in a lot of older homes with a 2 wire circuits. Is a GFI outlet able to be legal on a 2 wire system ?If not how do I make it work?
Additional Comments: I’m glad I found your site, I’ve learned a few things and refreshed on a few things.
Background: Donald, a Handyman from Lackawanna, N.Y.
Thanks for your electrical question Donald.
How To Install A GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
Application: Wiring a GFCI Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Tool Pouch and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of GFI outlets that will be installed.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before wiring the GFI outlet.
Notice: Installing additional outlet circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical GFCI Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire
- Yes, a GFCI Outlet can be installed even if a ground wire is not available in the existing electrical circuit.
- The GFCI outlet must be marked with a provided label that the outlet is not grounded.
- The GFCI will still protect the user against ground fault just the same.
- This method is legal and compliant with the electrical code.
- This is ideal for these locations:
- Kitchen outlets
- Bathroom outlets
- Garage Outlets
- Outdoor outlets
- PLEASE NOTE: The outlet will not create or provide a ground path for three wire grounded devices.
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
GFCI Outlet Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI
- GFCI Receptacles
- and how they are wired
Related Questions about No Ground Wire
- Wiring for GFCI Outlets
- Installing a Ceiling Fan Without a Ground Wire
- Replacing Ungrounded Outlets with a GFI
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Hairdryer Outlet and GFI Safety Requirement
Replacing Ungrounded Outlets with a GFI