Installing a Occupancy Sensor Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
Electrical Wiring Diagram for a Motion Detector Occupancy Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan – The electrical wiring would be connected with the power source in and load out to the bathroom exhaust fan, a neutral wire if required and a ground wire.
How to Wire a Motion Occupancy Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: I have bought a small extractor fan or exhaust fan which I want to install in my bathroom. I want to make it go on only when people enter the room so I bought a motion occupancy sensor. Can you please explain how I should wire them.
Background: Emmanuel, a Handyman.
Additional Comments: A very useful site. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Emmanuel.
Electrical Wiring for a Motion Occupancy Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan
Application: Wiring an Occupancy Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the occupancy sensor has the same amperage and voltage rating for the electrical load, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit and the device it will be controlling.
- The occupancy sensor or switch is typically installed in the switch box on the wall.
- The wiring is straight forward except that some of these occupancy sensor switches require a neutral wire for the 120 volt applications.
- The electrical wiring would be connected with the power source in and load out to the bathroom exhaust fan, a neutral wire if required and a ground wire.
- Below is one example of a occupancy motion sensor switch wiring diagram which should be helpful.
- Please read the complete installation instructions for your specific motion occupancy sensor switch for your bathroom exhaust fan.
Wiring Diagram for a Motion Detector Occupancy Switch
I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
For more information about Bath Exhaust Fan
Bath Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.