|« GFCI Circuit Protection for Shed Wiring||No power to my electric clothes dryer, what could be wrong? »|
Light Fixture Ground Wire Attachment
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Ground a Home Light Fixture: The ground wire of the incoming electrical circuit should be bonded to the electrical junction box, and the ground wire of the fixture should be grounded as well.
Wiring a Light Fixture Ground Wire
Light Fixture: I want to install a new ceiling light. From the wall I see the black and white wires, and also the ground which is attached to the octagon electric box via a screw. My new light also has a ground wire, and a green screw on the mounting bracket that came with the new light. My question is, do I leave the house ground attached to the electric box, and attach the ground from the new light to the green screw on the mounting bracket of the new light?
Background: Ian, a Homeowner from Calgary, Alberta Canada.
Additional Comments: Great. glad I found it.
Thanks for your electrical question Ian.
How to Ground a Home Light Fixture
Application: Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
- The ground wire of the incoming electrical circuit should be bonded to the electrical junction box, and the ground wire of the fixture should be grounded as well.
- The process can be accomplished several ways, such as installing a ground screw to the metal junction box and then splicing all of the ground wires together with this ground wire that is now bonded to the junction box.
- The point is to have a path to the ground wire of the circuit and bonding any metal parts of the circuit and devices to the circuit ground wire.
More about Light Fixtures and Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Junction Boxes
- Electrical Grounding
- Lighting For The Home
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
- Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos