|« I put in a new thermostat the old one was removed without labeling the wires||Electrical Considerations When Installing Landscape Lighting »|
Troubleshooting a Hot Tub Problem
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Dave on Google+
I bought a used hot tub and exchanged the cord connection with the one that I had used with a previous hot tub since it went directly to my power box that was installed just for the hot tub….
Hot Tub Error Codes and Error Messages
Here was the reply from the seller:
When the spa was sold it was in working order (he didn’t show me that it worked )and the possibility exists that the plumber who?hooked it up for you?may have damaged something to which I cannot assist with that.?I am pretty confident that there is a good chance the wiring inside may need to be adjusted for your power connection due to the fault your are showing since it does require individual power both to the pump as well as the heater. Otherwise the Craigslist ad did not state that it was warrantied or refundable.
Does what he is saying make sense? All my plumber did was connect a different 4-wire connection. It doesn’t seem to me that the internal wiring should change.
This electrical question came from: Catherine, from Springfield, Georgia
See more about Home Wiring for Georgia
Additional Comments: Love it!
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Catherine
Checklist for Hot Tub Operations
- The error codes are the best way to find out what the problem is with a hot tub function that is not working.
- If you find that all of the checks have been made and the problem still persists then the problem may be with one of the sensors of flow switches.
- If you have purchased a used hot tub then be advised that if the hot tub sat for an extended period of time without water then the chance of having an operational problem will be higher, especially if the hot tub has been exposed to the elements, bugs, critters etc. which can all have a negative effect on the functionality of the hot tub.
- Before purchasing a used hot tub it would be best to see it in working order and test all of the features to make sure they work.
- One more work of caution:
- If a plumber does not have an electrical contractors license then they should not be considered as an authorized electrical service technician.
- As the seller has stated, there is a possibility that the plumber made a mistake with the electrical connection.
- I would also point out that all hot tun installations should be inspected to make sure they have been installed according to codes including GFCI protection and proper location of a disconnect switch.
Hot Tub Circuit Wiring
Electrical Codes and details for Spa and Hot Tub electrical wiring. Essentials for your hot tub installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical GFCI and electrical-wiring.
|« Installing Attic Light and Switch Wiring||Electrical Considerations When Installing Landscape Lighting »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.