Leave a Comment
Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
|©Copyright Dave Rongey||Summary:|
How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring: Considerations when Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring – The number of circuits that you have will depend on how large and how old your home is. Additional circuits may be added if the electrical service panel has the capacity.
Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: Our problem is that our whole house seems to be wired together on one circuit.
- If we use the microwave and have the heater on in the living room the circuit breaker trips.
- The power goes out in the whole house but if we flip one switch on the circuit breaker everything comes back on.
- Its not the main switch we flip to turn it back on.
- Is there a way to fix this easily ourselves.
This electrical wiring question came from: David, a Homeowner from Coatesville, PA.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring
It is best to have an electrical evaluation of your hone electrical wiring system to see exactly what is happening, however it surely sounds like you are in need of an electrical service upgrade.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Electrical Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and Ladders.
Construction Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Considerations when Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
- The number of circuits that you have will depend on how large and how old your home is.
- Additional circuits may be added if the electrical service panel has the capacity.
- Whether or not it would be easy to fix yourselves is something only you could answer.
- Home electrical wiring upgrades should include dedicated circuits for kitchens and laundry rooms.
- Safety devices such as smoke detectors and GFCI outlets are highly recommended.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Home Electrical Circuit
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electric Circuit breaker
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Electrical Materials for Your Home Improvement Projects
- Complete listing of electrical wire types.
- Electrical parts and materials used for home wiring projects.
- Electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Rewiring a Home
Rewiring a Home
Great ideas for home electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.