FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« New Ceiling Fan Trips Circuit Breaker||How to Install and Wire a Baseboard Heater »|
Weather Related Home Electrical Problems
Common Problems that Cause Lost Power or No Power from a Circuit: How to Troubleshoot the Cause of Home Electrical Failures.
Electrical Problems That May Be Weather Related
- Half of my basement had power, which was on a different breaker, and my living room which is on a third breaker.
- The breakers were not tripped, they were showing they were supplying power but no power was present.
- I tried replacing the breaker and did not work. I also moved the breaker down a spot which had been working and it did nothing. But when I put the breaker back in the original spot and with a little bit of wiggling all three breakers turned on at same time.The three breakers were not next to each other on the panel.
- It has been raining pretty good here in Minnesota. Could my attic fan upstairs have shorted out or tripped the fan motor breaker with out popping the breakers down stairs and yet killing the power on the same breaker?
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Lucas, from Jackson , Minnesota.
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lucas.
No Electrical Power Problems
How to Troubleshoot the Cause of Home Electrical Failures
Weather changes, heat and moisture can create problems with electrical circuits and could contribute to bad electrical connections.
Common Problems that Cause Lost Power or No Power from a Circuit
- Circuit That Lost Power
When multiple circuits are affected then this is a key indication that the main electrical service will need to be examined and tested by a professional electrician.
- Tracking Down Power Failures
There are several problems that may be related to partial electrical service or power failures which require experienced troubleshooting skills and a lot of precautions.
- Electrical Panel Problems
In some cases the power to the affected circuits may return, however if the problem was due to a deteriorating condition at the home electrical panel then the problems will not doubt return and often times get worse which can lead to an expensive repair job.
- Storms and Electric Utility Power
In some cases a recent storm may have affected the main utility grid power and your home power, so it would be best to call the electrical utility service provider and explain the problems that you are experiencing and request that they come out and check the utility side of the home electrical service.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers Help Determine Conditions that Lead to Electrical Power Loss
How to Identify Lost Power
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
|« Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram Black White Red and Green Wires||Identifying the Causes of Electrical Noise and Interference »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.