FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« Electrical Safety and Stray Voltage||Electrical Voltage Problems and Solutions »|
What To Do When The Main Circuit Breaker Trips Off
How to Identify an Electrical Problem: Electric Circuit Problem and the Cause of a Tripping Main Circuit Breaker or Blown Fuse, What to do About a Home Electrical Circuit Problem.
Troubleshooting the Cause of a Tripping Main Circuit Breaker
This home electrical question came from: Kandi, a Homeowner from Houston, Texas.
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electric wiring question Kandi.
Preparations for Troubleshooting Electrical Problems
- Application: Troubleshooting – Testing Electrical Circuit Wiring.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
- Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
How to Identify an Electrical Problem
- A main circuit breaker can trip off for a variety of reasons, including a direct short within the home electrical system, or an over loaded condition of the electrical system.
- The cause of the tripping circuit breaker can be isolated simply by turning off all the other circuit breakers, resetting the main circuit breaker, and then turn on the other circuit breakers one at a time.
- When the circuit breaker has been turned which has a fault or direct short then the main circuit breaker will trip off again.
- Identify the circuit breaker that caused the main circuit breaker to trip off and leave the affected circuit breaker off, then once again, reset the main circuit breaker and turn on all of the other circuit breakers.
What to do about a Home Electrical Circuit Problem
- Now that the problem circuit has been identified the cause of the problem will need to be discovered.
- The panel index should indicate what the problem circuit is being used for which will be start the process of investigation about what may have recently been connected to this circuit, or if existing components are at fault.
- If the problem circuit supplies power to several devices such as outlets or lights then there many be a problem with one of the devices, so the faulty device will need to be identified and repaired.
- If the problem circuit is an isolated circuit that supplies power to one specific unit then the unit will need to be tested and inspected to identify the fault and the necessary repairs will be required.
- In depth testing and analysis may be required to locate the fault.
- Electrical faults are best discovered by an experienced licensed electrical contractor who preform the required corrections or repairs to get the home electrical system functioning properly.
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
|« How to Identify the Cause of Lost Electrical Power||Cut Extension Cord Causes Power Loss to Outlets »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.