FAQs » Related » Resources » Reply » Ask a Question
|« How to Build an Environmental-Friendly House with Limited Funds||Flat Screen TV Outlet Location »|
Why Space Heaters Can Cause Electrical Outlet Problems
How to Identify Potential Space Heater and Outlet Wiring Problems: Many electric space heaters are a high consumers of electricity and can cause problems with electrical circuits, especially if the electrical wiring is out dated.
Guide to Space Heater Outlet and Wiring Problems
- I checked the circuit breakers and none are tripped.
- I ‘m getting a reading on my tester of 40-50 volts and 120 between the metal box and the hot side of the receptacle .
- He says the problem occurred after he left a space heater on overnight.
- He also has no power in his garage which he says is an older problem
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: bob peck, a Contractor from Agawam, MA.
Additional Comments: GREAT!
Thanks for your electric wiring question Bob.
Problems with Space Heater Outlet Electric Wiring and How to Fix Them
- Space Heaters and Electrical Consumption
- Many electric space heaters are a high consumers of electricity and can cause problems with electrical circuits, especially if the electrical wiring is out dated or under sized.
- Space Heater Receptacle Outlet Problem
- The outlet where the electric space heater was plugged into is most likely where the problem is.
- Burnt Plug or Cord
- It is common to find a burnt neutral connection and damage to the electrical outlet.
- Check the Outlet Electric Wire Connections
- I strongly recommend having a qualified electrical contractor make the necessary repairs to the electrical wiring.
- The electric wiring should be inspected for burnt connections and deteriorating receptacle outlets
- Damaged wiring should be repaired or replaced as needed, and the receptacle outlets should be replaced.
- Electrical wiring in older homes should be examined and upgraded and brought up to the current electric codes whenever possible.
- Space Heaters and Smoke Detectors
- For an extra measure of safety, make sure to install and test smoke detectors and GFI outlets where required in older homes.
- PLEASE NOTE:
- Space Heaters can help to save on your electrical bill when they are used correctly and used according to the manufacturers instruction manual.
- Many space heaters require a dedicated circuit which should be installed by a qualified electrical contractor.
More about Home Electric Wiring
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- This link is helpful as a Contractor
Electrical Code Articles
|« Remodeling a Bathroom with GFI Outlet and Lights||Lighting Control With A Remote Control Module »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.