|« PVC Conduit and Electrical Wiring For Outdoor Lighting||How to Wire Electrical Circuits for a Kitchen »|
Wire Size for a Home Electrical Service Panel
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Size Wire for a Home Electrical Service Panel: Electrical Load Calculator, Wire Size Formula for Sizing Wire for an Electric Panel.
Wiring an Electrical Service Panel
Electrical Panel Question: I am building my house in the county side we have power supply from the main road but I would like to have the supply to the house under ground so it dose not spoil the look of the house.
- We have to go about 50 meters from supply to house what cable will I need.
This Electrical Panel question came from: Bill, a Homeowner from Saratoga, California.
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Bill.
How to Determine the Wire Size for a Home Electrical Service Panel
Application: Installing a Main Electric Service Panel
Skill Level: Advanced – Licensed Electrical Contractor – Not Recommended for Homeowners.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific method of electrical service installation.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel, the location, and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project. Working in an electric panel has possible electric arc flash hazards and should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Installing an Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Size Electrical Service Panel Wiring
- The size of the wire will depend on the size of your main electrical service panel, which will depend on the size of your home, which will then require the total connected electrical loads to be identified.
- Once the panel size has been determined then the distance of the underground may be factored in using ohms law formula and voltage drop calculations to determine the required wire size.
- Without all of the required information there is no way to provide an answer without knowing all of these details.
Residential Electrical Load Calculator
- The Electrical Load Calculator is a fully functional online and Interactive tool that will assist you with accurate panel load calculations.
- The Residential Electrical Load Calculator is Pre-Loaded with electrical information for you to chose for typical electrical loads in the home.
- General Electrical Load Requirements, Appliances and Motor Loads, Heating and Air Conditioning equipment.
- Sizing Wire for a Panel: Voltage Drop Calculator
More about the Home Electrical Service Panel
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Related Questions about Panel Wire Size
- Home Electric Panel Upgrade Wire Size
- What Size Sub-Panel Should I Install for My Garage?
- Electrical Wiring for a Garage Panel