|« Understanding Electrical Panel Sizes||Safe Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures »|
Wiring a 3-Wire Dryer Outlet
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Dave on Google+
Help with Electrical Wiring for a 30 amp 3-wire Dryer Outlet: Make sure that the white wire is wrapped with black or red electrical tape at both ends of the cable to identify it as being a hot wire and not a neutral wire.
How to Wire a Dryer Outlet
- I have dedicated line with a double pole 30Amp breaker I want to use for a dryer.
- The line was not in use and does not have an outlet, it is a 3 wire line, white,black and bare copper wire.
- I bought a 3 prong 240Volt outlet.The instructions say to hook up the white wire to the L shaped prong and the two hot wires to the 45 degree prongs.
- I tested the lines with a multimeter and the voltage between the white and bare copper wire is 120v, 120v between the black and cooper and 240v between the white and black.
- The two hot wires are the white and black and the bare copper wire is the neutral?
- Should the outlet be hooked up with the copper wire to the L shaped prong and the white and black to the 45 degree hot prongs?
This electrical question came from: Joe, a Homeowner from Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Joe.
Yes Joe, that’s right.
Electrical Wiring for a 30 amp 3-wire Dryer Outlet
Application: 240Volt Dryer Outlet Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level of electrical experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the dryer cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer outlet or cord wiring.
Help with Electrical Wiring for a 30 amp 3-wire Dryer Outlet
- In a case like this the L shaped prong is the ground wire connection or bare wire.
- Make sure that the white wire is wrapped with black or red electrical tape at both ends of the cable to identify it as being a hot wire and not a neutral wire.
More about How to Wire a Dryer
Wiring a dryer
Wiring a 240v Dryer
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 240 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
|« Dealing with a New or Used Home with Questionable Electrical Wiring||How to Repair a GFI Outlet Circuit »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.