|« Light Fixture Trips Circuit Breaker||Light Fixture Circuit Wiring »|
Wiring a Light Fixture to a Switched Outlet
©Copyright Dave Rongey -
Dave on Google+
How to Install a Light in a Ceiling that is Controlled by a Wall Switch that Operates an Outlet
How to Install a Ceiling Light to a Wall Switch that Operates an Outlet
- I want the plug to stay hot, and the light to be controlled by the switch.
- The only source of power to the switch is a white and a black wire.
- How do I make the plug stay hot and control the ceiling light by the switch using the present source of electric to the plug?
This electrical question came from: Phillip, a Homeowner from Frankfort, Kentucky
See more about Home Wiring for Kentucky
Additional Comments: From what I see thus far it appears to be the answer to my question.
Thanks for your electrical question Phillip
Installing a Ceiling Light Controlled by a Wall Switch that Operates an Outlet
Using a Switched Outlet to Power a Light Fixture
Installing a Light that will be controlled by a wall switch that already operates an outlet requires identifying and understanding the existing electrical wires.
Using a Switched Outlet for a Light Fixture
- The wiring for the ceiling light fixture must be routed to the junction box where the neutral wire is located for the connection for the light fixture.
- The switched wiring that controls the outlet will need to be identified and rewired to control the light fixture.
- Follow the links below to access full color wring diagrams that explain switched outlet wiring.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
You identified your project to be about Electrical Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« Wiring a Bathroom Outlet||Relocating an Electrical Service Panel »|
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.