More About: Troubleshooting Electrical Problems
Troubleshooting Old Electrical Wiring
I Came in to help a friend. Old existing 12 gauge wire, appears it goes directly to the panel and a 20 amp breaker. I wired up some GFI outlets(1st time, but sure its right), light on outlet comes on, 220V showing on my meter, plugged in fan, nothing. The breaker at panel does not trip. Working on other wiring in the attic, I noticed some of the same old wiring had been cut out, (small pieces under staple). Any idea? Of course I'd rather replace the wiring entirely, but low pitch of roof and drywall is up. Feeling dumb, Thank You for your time.
Hi Jason, first off - if you are in the USA you should not have 220 volts to the GFI Outlet. This alone could be an indication that there are problems with the wiring that needs immediate attention. You mentioned that you are helping a friend, so I am curious about what the original problem was that needed assistance? You are right in mentioning that it would be best to remove and replace the old wiring, and make any corrections as needed to make the home safe. The home owner should consider having a professional electrical wiring upgrade.
Electrical Circuit Troubleshooting
I have a circuit that is out. We were sitting down watching TV when our dining room ceiling fan/light flickered and went out. The line comes up from the electrical box to a bedroom, and that ceiling light works, but everything from there out does not, yet the switches and ceiling lights have power. We tested them with a meter and they all beeped showing there was power going to them. The only weird thing that happened is after the lights went out a couple of days later a smoke detector that is hard wired to the same line started going off. It would give a couple of beeps, then speed up and beep loudly and after a few seconds the beeping continued but the sound level would get much quieter. We had to disconnect it to stop it-none of the other detectors went off (not hard wired)and we checked for any sign of fire-there was none. Help! Any ideas? Why would the lines show power going to them if the fixtures do not work?
From what you have explained I believe that the circuit has lost connection with either the power or the neutral source. This may be found be at one of the device boxes, such as an outlet or light fixture. This would explain why there is an abnormal voltage reading, but devices are not getting full power, which is most likely a result of power that is feeding back through the wiring and devices from other locations.
I was trying to electrically test and tag a food processor without success. The item was not marked as being double insulated, so I made the assumption it was type one. The item was fully sealed so I was unable to attach the probe to exposed metal. Any advice?
Tim, you may need to reference your common test lead to the termination point of the ground, or attach to the ground at the power source.
Why a Home has Lost Power
Why has part of my house lost power?
This electrical wiring question came from Jeff, in Belfair, Washington.
When I operate my oven my lights come on, what is causing this?
This electrical wiring question came from David, in Lone Grove, Oklahoma.